Monday, October 25, 2010

i am not appositive i did this correctly

Hopefully i did this right



When I left my hometown of Bothell, I wasn’t just leaving family; I was leaving my best friend. This person, both a family member and my friend, was Jim/James “Brownie” Petritz, my grandfather. (past participle) Since I am an only child and my parents couldn’t afford daycare when I was younger, I would spend day in and day out with him. Even as I grew older, I made sure I stopped by his house everyday for at least a half hour to an hour. Even when Bob Barker made his final appearance on the Price Is Right (a daily watch), I went over to his house and had dinner with him. (appositive) See it was always our goal to go see him down in California, but sadly we were not able too. Right when I left for school, I told him I expected him to come to a Coug game with me, followed by a hug goodbye. Little did I know that this would be the last hug I receive from him.



As soon as I arrived at the hospital, busy with a deadly calm staff, I took the long elevator ride up to the floor he was on. (appositive) Immediately after, I searched the hallway for the room that read his name. When found, I took a deep breath, bracing myself for what was behind door number 2306. The aroma of the room, clean and sterilized, overwhelmed me as I saw everyone go silent and look at me. (out of order) With the sorrow look on all their faces I expected the worse. When I saw my grandpa just laying motionless in bed I thought to myself, fuck I blew it. But then I saw a small sparkle that was in his eyes like normal and I knew everything was ok. I believe that small sparkle was the happiness in him to see me arrive safely. Overprotected, full of anxiety, he was always one to worry about me. (Absolute) I started to calm my nerves down a little until I was able to talk to him and say the things I’ve always thought but never told him. While speaking, a small tear trickled down from his motionless face. At that moment it hit me hard and everything came into realization.

1 comment:

  1. second sentences has two appositives--but no participles.
    first appositive - correct
    second appositive- incorrect
    adject out of order - correct
    absolute - incorrect.

    ReplyDelete